Recipe for canned Apple Pie Filling:
7 qts peeled and sliced apples - (I use Granny Smith and some Jonagold mixed in) - this is about 2 produce bags of apples
For the syrup:
8 c water
5-6 c sugar
1 c cornstarch
2 T cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
Put sliced apples into a pan filled with water and salted.
Mix other ingredients and cook on medium heat until thickened.
Drain apples and add to cooked mixture (I put them into the jar separately so I can control the amount of syrup going in - you want as little as possible to fill in all the air spaces and just cover the apples. The apples will really cook down after processing).
Fill pre-heated jars and process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Instructions for the Apple Pie:
Pour filling into a pie shell. Crumble the following topping over the apples and bake at 350 deg for 30 min.
topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 c oatmeal
1/2 stick margerine
1 t cinnamon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You rock! Thanks for posting this. I am sooo going to add this to my list next year...
ReplyDeleteThe whole canning thing intimidates me though.
It did me too - but it isn't so bad. Mark's mom helped me the first time (its her canner). I heard somewhere not to use a canner on a glass top stove - that was after I had done it for 2 years. Not sure why not - too heavy? Maybe owrth some investigation - or get a friend to do it with!
ReplyDelete